Monday, August 10, 2009

Her Brother, Her Friend.




Sometimes the pure tenderness that is demonstrated by my son in times of distress amazes me. He knows. He knows when to slow it down and when to comfort where comfort is needed. Here, he has realized that his sister has not walked or crawled for the last day and is offering a soothing touch and the comfort of his presence. He is laying next to her watching Veggie Tales while mommy and daddy took care of things around the house in preparation for a trip to Urgent Care.

As a kid who generally gets a bad rap for being too loud and boisterous : he really is a tender and kind hearted child. I'm sure that seems unreal to some: to those who have simply labeled him and haven't taken the time to get to know him. He is spirited. Emotional. Sensitive. Joyous. All of these things could be described in a negative way as well- but we won't use those negative terms. I love my son and I know every side of him, and I know he acts out when there are people around with which he is not comfortable. I know that he acts out when he doesn't get attention or when he feels insecure. My job as his mother is to recognize those times and to protect him. I'm also his advocate: and I will no longer tolerate the negative terms given by others. He is spirited. And that's okay. Thomas Jefferson, Barack Obama, Jim Carrey, Thomas Edison, and Jim Henson were all spirited as children. My son is going to be someone someday: and the traits that are viewed as flaws today will be the very traits that keep him on the path to success.

But he is very tenderhearted, kind and loving. In the right situation he will do the right thing. He is my pride and joy.: and I would never want him to be a different child.

-iPhone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you, I love this picture of your kids. My son is spirited in the eyes of some, though I believe he is the most loving little boy I've ever known. He knows precisely when someone needs a hug or kiss, he'll look up while playing and just sense it.

Jessica C said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad there are some that understand. Because some - even a few of our own family members - have labeled him. And didn't even blink an eye before voicing their concerns. Sad, yes. Frustrating? Very!!!!!! ;)